Setting up Mobile Broadband (WWAN) on HP Elitebook 8560p

Configuring an HP Elitebook with integrated HS2340 mobile broadband module to use the 3G connection can be a little tricky. Here is how it works – without third-party dialer software!

SIM

Insert the SIM. To do that you need to remove the battery. You will notice a tiny little slot. Slide the SIM in completely until it is firmly inserted.

Note: There is no need to disable the PIN. Windows will ask you nicely for it when connecting (see below).

Drivers

Boot into Windows 7 and install the mobile broadband drivers. I used version 6.3.5.3.

Connection Manager

With the drivers installed, one might be tempted to think that a WWAN connection can be established. That may be true for you, but in my case more work was required. Windows would allow me to unlock the SIM by entering the PIN, but after that there was no trace of the mobile broadband module left.

As I found out, the WWAN module was disabled. In order to turn it on I had to install HP’s Connection Manager software which adds a tray icon for turning WWAN, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on or off:

Configuring the WWAN Connection

Using the WWAN connection is very comfortable as there is not much to configure. A new entry is added to the network list automatically:

Right-clicking the connection gets us to the properties dialog, where the APN has already been set automatically. User name and password are not required:

It is even possible to change or disable the PIN:

, , , ,

13 Responses to Setting up Mobile Broadband (WWAN) on HP Elitebook 8560p

1. Bernie September 4, 2012 at 18:46 #

That helped! Although I desperately searched for the driver for “HP un2420 EV-DO-HSDPA Mobile Broadband Module” and finally found the “Qualcomm Mobile Broadband Drivers – Gobi2000”: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-90426-1

Thanks, Bernie

2. Giorgio July 7, 2013 at 15:48 #

Hi Helge,
    i have an HP 8560p (LG738ET #ABZ model). I buy it 2 years ago and only now i discover SIM slot, removing battery.
    i inserted my SIM (TIM italian company), i downloaded driver you indicated and install it (but in the end of install
    process i haven’t receive any message like “finished, succesfull etc”, was appears onlty for some instance dos Windows).
    After that, going to HP connection manager, there is not wwan section but only wireless, Bluetooth and ethernet lan, as before
    install drivers. Do you know if some 8560p models has not wwan adapter inside when exit from hp? Or if i need other drivers?

Thanks
    Giorgio

• Kim September 3, 2013 at 10:30 #

Hi i have the same problem Giorgio, please reply if you have found the solution.

Thanks

• Arno November 6, 2013 at 11:56 #

Hi Giorgio,
      the slot is in every notebook of this model. This does not mean that there is a WWAN-module installed in your notebook.
      If you actually have the hardware (WWAN-module) you can find out in two ways: either you look yourself if the hardware is present (see the “maintainance and service guide” for your notebook which is available at the HP web site) or you look into the BIOS (System Configuration -> Build-in Device Options, when you have an installed WWAN-module than there is an entry “Embedded WWAN device” where you can switch it on or off).
      Arno

3. Murshid November 11, 2013 at 13:22 #

I do have the same problem as mentioned by Giorgio. My model is HP Elitebook 8440p. I checked in to the bios and wwan is enabled. but when I open HP connection Manager it shows “Missing or outdated driver”. I downloaded the driver from there but after that there is no change. Is there any solution of this problem.

• momchi September 10, 2015 at 06:11 #

Check on the “System Info” BIOS page — if there is a WWAN module, you will see an item ID: numbers and letters, if you see “N/A” then you don’t have the PCI-mini WWAN card installed. You can get one from e-bay for less than $10 today :) …. search for: “HP un2400 Gobi1000”

4. tangilari June 14, 2014 at 09:19 #

How do I insert the sim card? I do not see the slot for it?

Thanks

5. ronni November 4, 2015 at 17:54 #

Qualcomm Gobi 2000 HP UN2420 wwan Card is being disabled by the biosin my Elitebook 8460p.How can I fix this?

6. Edward Speaker December 16, 2015 at 22:27 #

How is this device installed in a HP Elitebook 8760w is there a special process or hardware that is needed.

Thanks

Enjoyed the information

7. vhyk February 6, 2016 at 13:46 #

I have an elitebook 6930p that comes with windows 8 nd also a simport please I need ur help its not working… thanks

8. Guru February 17, 2016 at 14:54 #

Hi
    how can i connect mobile brodband module in windows 8.1,and give some idea about settings.

thanks

9. Jeremiah Anelo July 15, 2017 at 16:37 #

I install WWAN model EM730 Huawei mobile broadband CE0682, which support my HP laptop 8560p but finding hard to obtain functioning driver. And proper configuration on windows 10. Any solution please.

10. Jeremiah Anelo July 15, 2017 at 20:12 #

Finally got it right. For HP elitebook 8560p you need the hardware huawei mobile broadband CE0682 and huawei partner Application for windows. Other WWAN mobile broadband also work provided it use HP elitebook 8560p control hardware specs with is CE0682 model variations.