6 Responses to Citrix User Profile Manager: How Registry Exclusion Lists Can Mess Up Group Policy Processing

1. Christian Büchi March 2, 2009 at 10:06 #

Hallo Helge

Hmm…. interessant. Ein von uns eröffneter Citrix-Call zu diesem Thema wurde letzte Woche anderst beantwortet.
    Folgender Eintrag sollte der Reg-Exclude Liste hinzugefügt werden:
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy

Deine Ausführungen erscheinen mir aber als sinnvoller. (Performanter)
    Was ist jetzt richtig?

Gruss Christian

• Helge Klein March 2, 2009 at 11:54 #

To the non-germanic readers:

The question was which of the two solutions presented in the article is the “better” one.

I think I have answered the question in the article:

“Either exclude all three registry paths from processing by UPM or none of them. I recommend the latter, which leaves the group policy engine’s caching mechanism intact.”

2. Michel Trudeau May 8, 2009 at 21:54 #

Hello,

Although the settings where ok with Version1, by deleting these 3 keys as suggested made my GPO work again with V2.

Software\Policies
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy

Thank you!

3. Nicholas Dille May 19, 2009 at 12:53 #

Helge,

there is hard proof that removing the policy keys from the exclusions list is the proper fix because I tested adding the third key at a customer. Although group policy processing was fixed for Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies, the key Software\Policies did not exist resulting in “fewer settings” to be applied ;-)

To cut a long story short: Remove both keys from the exclusion list. Just like you recommended.

Thanks for the resolution,
    Nicholas

4. Casey Hawkinson July 16, 2009 at 18:27 #

Hello,

I’m having the same type issues and have tried everything. Here is my exact issue: Everything works great when the profile is first created. However, if I change the GPO to add a directory or file sync (outside the profile) it does not happen. The log file on the PC and the .ini file created in the profile by UPM 2.0.1 both show the entries so I know that the service is reading the GPO…however the files/directories never get created. Changes within the profile work fine. We get no errors anywhere and show no denies in FileMon on the profile store side of it. If I delete the profile and log back in everything is fine once again with the current changes.

I’m not excluding any of the 3 policy keys and I’ve set various GPO settings to force GPO to process even if there are no changes. This is happening with both versions of UPM. We are provisioning physical desktops with XP via PVS 5.0. Any thoughts on what is missing?

Casey

• Helge Klein July 17, 2009 at 08:46 #

Casey,
      the problem you have described is different from the one outlined in the article (user policies not being processed at all). I suggest you either post in the UPM forum or open a support case with Citrix.