Which Version of Citrix GoToMeeting Are You Running?
Last updated: 2017-01-21. This article still applies to the latest versions of GoToMeeting. The high disk space usage has not been solved yet.
Am I running the latest version of GoToMeeting? Which is the latest version, anyway? Those trivial questions might not be easy to answer.
When hovering over the GoToMeeting icon in the taskbar it tells me I am running version 6.3.1:
When I check in Programs and Features I appear to have version 6.4.4. installed:
Automatic updates are enabled (Preferences -> Start Up):
Clicking that link opens a webpage listing 6.4.3 as the latest version:
This is more difficult than expected.
I start GoToMeeting through this start menu link:
It points to an executable in the folder C:\Users\helge\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToMeeting\1468.
Taking a look at the parent of that directory reveals that there seem to be many different versions of GoToMeeting on my disk, each taking up around 29 MB, totaling 290 MB (on a machine installed just a few months ago!):
Most of the confusion seems to come from two flaws in GoToMeeting’s installer:
- For each new version it just adds a new folder, never removing old versions
- It does not (always) update the start menu link
I “upgraded” GoToMeeting to the latest version by changing the directory the start menu link pointed to to the one with the largest number (1831). Then I deleted all the other subdirectories of C:\Users\helge\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToMeeting. That had the nice side-effect of freeing about 260 MB on my hard disk (and from my user profile).
It might be a good idea to check that directory again in a few months…
More than two years after I initially posted this article I took another look at GoToMeeting’s disk space usage. I did this on a different machine, installed in June 2016. Although I had not used GoToMeeting a lot on that machine, I found that the situation has not improved at all. As before the version displayed in Programs and Features (5922) is different to the version that is linked to from the Start Menu (5808).
On the hard disk, I not only had versions 5808 and 5922 but also 13 older ones. Each version’s directory took up approximately 60 MB of disk space, 867 MB in total.
Reclaiming disk space was the obvious thing to do. By deleting all but the latest two directories I got back 761 MB. It is quite sad, however, that this has to be done manually, and that things have not improved a bit since 2014.